West Paw Becomes a Certified B Corp For Good!
American Pet Product Manufacturer Joins Global Movement for Social and Environmental Change
West Paw is proud to announce we have become a certified B Corporation. By becoming a B Corporation, or a B Corp, West Paw was certified by the nonprofit B Lab and had to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability.
West Paw is proud to be in the company of over 800 other certified B Corps who are using the power of business to solve social and environmental problems including: Patagonia, Ben & Jerry’s, Etsy and Seventh Generation.
What is a B Corp?
A B Corp is a company that must be certified by the nonprofit B Lab and meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability and transparency. B Corps are important because they inspire all businesses to compete not only to be the best in the world but to be best for the world. A B Corp certification is to sustainable business what Fair Trade certification is to coffee or USDA Organic certification is to milk.
Why Become A B Corp?
“We wanted to become a B Corp to be a part of a movement that encompasses all we are, not just a piece of it.” - Spencer Williams, President and CEO, West Paw. Continues Williams, “Since we began manufacturing pet products in 1996, our company’s history and values have aligned with B Corps’ making it a natural fit. Being an active participant in the B Corp community allows us to learn and advance our goals while defining future successes. This will help us on our way to become a transformative global business leader that unleashes our people’s greatest talents to create amazing pet products.“
West Paw’s environmental stewardship and values that align with the B Corp philosophy are reflected in what we do every day:
- Manufacture 100% of our products in the USA; employing 70+ people
- Manufacture 98% of our products in the same facility as their offices in Bozeman, Montana
- Source materials from US-based vendors
- Create pet products that are safe: BPA and phthalate-free, non-toxic and FDA compliant
- Use a third-party ecological certifier to test the safety of many toys and beds
- Use recycled paper and soy-based inks in our packaging
- Support industries who produce environmentally-friendly materials or agricultural products such as recycled plastic and hemp.
- Incorporate plastic fiber from recycled bottles into bed and toy fabric and fill, (to date we have utilized the plastic from over 12.2 million bottles)
- Continue to add products to our Join the Loop® closed-loop recycling program so customers can send back products for recycling.